1 (800) 308-4358
Mon-Fri 7am-7pm CST
  1. 1. Choose A State
  2. 2. Choose A Bond
  3. 3. Enter Your Contact Info
  4. 4. Receive Your Free Quote

New Hampshire Certificate of Title Bond

How much does a certificate of title bond cost in New Hampshire?

New Hampshire requires all persons who have a lost or stolen vehicle title to post a surety bond in an amount equal to 1.5 times the vehicle’s value. The Director of the Department of Motor Vehicles appraises and determines the value of vehicles in question, and applicants must verify their required bond amount with the state.

If your required bond amount is $5,000 or less, SuretyBonds.com can issue your bond for just $100! The price of bonds between $5,000 and $25,000 will be calculated at $20 per every $1,000 of the required bond amount. The cost of a defective title bond in an amount greater than $25,000 but less than or equal to $50,000 will be calculated at $15 per every $1,000 of the bond amount. Bonds in amounts greater than $50,000 are subject to underwriting.

Prior to purchasing your title bond, be sure to have your vehicle information handy. This includes your appraised vehicle amount and your required bond amount, as well as the VIN, model, year, and make of the vehicle.

Bond Type Bond Amount Cost*
$1-$5,000 Certificate of Title Bond $1-$5,000 $100 GET A QUOTE
$5,001-$25,000 Certificate of Title Bond $5,001-$25,000 $100+ GET A QUOTE
$25,001-$50,000 Certificate of Title Bond $25,001-$50,000 $375+ GET A QUOTE
$50,000+ Certificate of Title Bond $50,000+ Subject to Underwriting GET A QUOTE

Get started by submitting your bond request now! Our experts will help you get the bond you need quickly, easily and accurately.

Why do I need a New Hampshire certificate of title bond?

By posting a New Hampshire certificate of title bond, the principal (current vehicle owner) guarantees that he or she has applied to the New Hampshire Division of Motor Vehicles for the issuance of a certificate of title for the vehicle in question. The title will:

  • Provide motor vehicle departments with information about the previous and current owners and aid in the searching of registration and titling files to locate records
  • Provide an ownership chain to describe the history of the vehicle
  • Make it more difficult for fraudulent ownership of a vehicle to be obtained

Please note this bond is required for a vehicle title to be issued. If you are planning to sell cars and other vehicles, a New Hampshire motor vehicle dealer bond is required.

How to register a bonded title in New Hampshire

To be issued a bonded vehicle title in New Hampshire, applicants must do the following:

Step 1: Contact your local DMV.

Contact your local DMV to have a vehicle record search done. This search will reveal any previous title owner(s) on file, as well as any active liens on your vehicle. If a previous title owner appears in the record search, the principal (current vehicle owner) must send a certified letter to this person requesting to have the title signed over. If a lienholder appears, you must also send a certified letter to this person requesting that the lien be lifted.

You cannot obtain a bonded title for a vehicle that has an active lien.

Step 2: Purchase a New Hampshire lost title bond.

Applicants must buy a surety bond in an amount equal to 1.5 times the vehicle’s value. These New Hampshire bonds are sometimes called defective title bonds.

Let our experts help you get the surety bond you need!

Once your specified premium is approved, the bond will be issued to you immediately and mailed for filing to the New Hampshire Department of Safety Division of Motor Vehicles.

Step 3: Complete a title application.

When filling out the title application, which can be found at a local city clerk’s office, applicants must have the following information handy:

  • Name and home address
  • Vehicle year, make, and model
  • Vehicle VIN or serial number
  • Amount the bond needs to be for or the value of the vehicle

Step 4: Submit the paperwork to your local DMV.

You must also submit documentation for your title bond. After your title fee has been paid and your application has been approved, you will be issued a New Hampshire bonded title.

What if my New Hampshire bonded title is stolen, lost, or destroyed?

Unlike many other states, New Hampshire will issue a duplicate title for stolen and lost titles to owners who carried the title in their name at one point in time. In order to be issued a duplicate bonded title, the principal (current vehicle owner) must provide the required criteria in these steps:

NOTE: Only the current owner, a lienholder, or a New Hampshire licensed dealer of a vehicle may request a duplicate title for that vehicle. Vehicles from 1999 or prior are exempt from the need for a new title.

Step 1: Fill out an Application For Duplicate Certificate of Title.

If there are two people listed as owners on a title, both owners must sign the application. The first listed owner will receive the duplicate title in the mail within three to five business days once the application is received and verified and a duplicate title is produced.

Step 2: Submit a check or money order for the bonded title duplicate replacement fee of $25.

Step 3, if applicable: Provide a lien release.

If a lien was recorded on the vehicle when the current owner purchased it, the lien will need to be released to allow the vehicle to be titled. This form must be signed by the lienholder, along with the application for a duplicate title.

Step 4: Drop off the application and lien release (if applicable) to one of New Hampshire’s DMV offices.

If the applicant choses to mail a duplicate title application form to a New Hampshire licensed dealer, the owner must indicate so by signing the “Authorization for Mailing” (line 22) on the Duplicate Title Application. Previous requirements can be mailed to:

New Hampshire Department of Safety
Division of Motor Vehicles
23 Hazen Drive
Concord, NH 03305

Does my New Hampshire title bond expire?

New Hampshire lost title bonds remain valid for three years from the date of issuance. Bonds can be surrendered prior to the termination date if the vehicle is no longer registered to the New Hampshire Division of Motor Vehicles. It is important to note that during the life of a vehicle, only one certificate of title may be legally valid at any one time.

Ready to get started?

Buy Your Certificate of Title Bond Now!

Additional Resources

New Hampshire Division of Motor Vehicles

State of New Hampshire Title and Anti-Theft Handbook

New Hampshire Title XXI Motor Vehicles Chapter 261 Certificates of Title and Registration of Vehicles Certificate of Title

New Hampshire Department of Safety Division of Motor Vehicles Forms and Documents

Overnight Shipping
50,000 Satisfied
Customers Nationwide
No Hidden Fees